This recipe is so yummy, light, refreshing & Healthy. Its a clean eating recipe and can be easily made. You can follow this initial recipe then if you enjoy it you can add or alter as you see fit for your family. Personally for my family I didn't add the full tablespoon of garlic, just a half of a half tblsp since I know its strong & I thought it would be too much.
I also didn't add scallions since I didn't have them on hand & not a big fan.
but that is the fun of cooking, you work & add, edit what works for you. I added a side of rice or you can do any side you wish, This is great is for Spring & Summer!
The above picture & recipe is from CleanEatingmag.com
Serves: 4Hands-on time: 20 minutes
Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp natural unsalted cashew butter
- 2 tbsp low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp fresh grated ginger
- 2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 12 oz cooked chicken breast, shredded or roughly chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 4 whole-wheat pitas, halved and split (1 1/2 oz each)
- In a small bowl, whisk cashew butter, broth, vinegar, ginger, soy sauce and pepper flakes until smooth; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, scallions, carrot, cucumber and cilantro. Add cashew mixture and stir to coat. Fill each pita half with chicken mixture, dividing evenly.
Nutrients per serving (1 pita and 2/3 cup filling): Calories: 374, Total Fat: 9 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 4 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Carbs: 41 g, Fiber: 6 g, Sugars: 2 g, Protein: 35 g, Sodium: 484 mg, Cholesterol: 72 mg